Tuesday 5 July 2016

Identifying your Skin Tone and choosing the best colors for you.


There are three main types of skin tones, Warm, Cool and Neutral. A dependable method to identify what colors that may look best on you, will to to find out your correct skin tone.

Some quick do it yourself tips are as follows;

  • Check your veins: if your veins appear purple or blue you most likely have a Cool undertone, if your veins look green you most likely have a Warm undertone and if they don't seem to be any particular color you are most likely a Neutral undertone.
  • If when you are in the sun you turn pink and get burn you usually a Cool undertone, but if you get a tan you are usually a Warm undertone.
  • Cool undertones often have blue, green or grey eyes, with hair of platinum or ash hues. While Warm skin tones often have brown, hazel or amber colored eyes, with hair that has auburn, mahogany, copper and golden hues.
Some basic colors that complement your your tone will be; 
  • Warm - Earth tones (brown,red,orange, burgundy, ivory.), metallic (jewelry in men), Neon and Bright colors (keep accessories simple when wearing these), Cobalt Blue and Teal, Dove Grey and some Pastilles. Gold in Jewelry.
  • Cool - Jewel tones (especially darker tones), Camel colors, some Pastilles, Charcoal Grey. Silver in Jewelry.
  • Neutral - Can wear almost any color... Bold colors pop more.                                       
  • Black, White and Nude go with all tones

7 comments:

  1. This is very informative Chennel. Thanks for sharing. I will have to have you do my colors over again. did them years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome Stacy-Ann. It's good to know you found it informative. I will be happy to further assist you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are most welcome Stacy-Ann. It's good to know you found it informative. I will be happy to further assist you.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I've been looking at my veins for the past 5 mins trying to figure out if they're green or blue lol but in the sun I get a tan so I'll go with warm, this would definitively come in handy next time I'm going out and I have to get an outfit and match it with my eye shadow.....I am really digging the fact that neutral tones can wear any color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very helpful to know your skin tone. You did well so far. Tajh, I'm inviting you to contact me and come have a consult done. #lookgoodfeelgoodbegood

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very helpful to know your skin tone. You did well so far. Tajh, I'm inviting you to contact me and come have a consult done. #lookgoodfeelgoodbegood

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I love the way you explain it but before I came to your blog, I decided that I had cool skin tone. Have always been told I have Olive skin tone (not too dark), I have Brown Eyes and medium to light brown hair. I have ALWAYS Look good and complimented when I wore Pastel colors but I see you have that with WARM Skin tones. That's why I'm confused. I have several Gray's now About 10 to 20% of hair on my head and it's time for me to start dying my hair at home. On Fixed income, cannot afford my Hair Dresser to do. I'm thinking maybe I'm neutral maybe? No one has ever said that to me, always said I was Olive skin tone. I also look good in BOLD RED's Bold Royal Blue. Even TOP Hairdressers I would go to in my 20's, 30's and 40's said I was Olive Skin Tone, that's why I looked Great in Pastels. Currently 63. (I was a Hair Model in my 20's). Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete